Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting Our Food Storage Going

A few weeks ago, Jon and I decided to make a 3 month food storage. He put up some shelving in our furnace room in the basement and packed a few of the kids with me to Aldi (our main grocery store). Buying 12 things (cans or canisters?) of oatmeal is kind of a funny experience...especially when you're also buying 15 bags of flour, 9 bags of sugar, 24 cans of tomato paste, etc. Funny, yet satisfying. Stacking and organizing all of these items in neat little rows brought my heart a new kind of contentment. I have to admit that I sometimes go down to the basement, open the door, flip on the light and just stare. There's also the added joy from knowing that I'm finally following counsel that I've known about for years! A friend shared a great website that I'm finding helpful! www.simplylivingsmart.com Check it out!

4 comments:

Libby said...

Yay for you. I'll admit it-I'm no where near a 3 month supply. So I'm sure if I came to your house, I'd marvel at your storage space as well.

shelby said...

I am so jealous this is something I think about every week and yet I dont do much about! So I would also marvel at your shelves!

Robin said...

I need to buckle down on food storage as well. I guess if something terrible happens I know someone in MO with alot of food.

Veronica Reeve said...

Hi Sarah, I found your blog via Libs and it's so fun to see how big and DARLING your children are. They all have the most perfect little faces. Anyways, hope you don't mind me snooping. I hope you are liking the midwest. We were in Iowa for three years (yowsers, glad we aren't there now!) and enjoyed our time there minus tornadoes, freezing rain, and sub artic winter temperatures. :)